Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Little Snack With The Ladies

What better way to spend a cold night in NYC than in your living room with a couple of close girlfriends and a bottle of vino. On this particular Wednesday, my girls Ashley and Maria came over to drink some wine and have some snacks. I decided tonight was a great night to try my luck at Bruschetta. I've never made the dish before, but always enjoy a nice crunchy piece of toasted bread with a warm, flavorful tomato mixture, so off I went on my culinary adventure! Italian food is comfort food, and this seemed like a simple, comforting snack that I could make pretty quickly.

I chopped a combination of heirloom tomatoes and tomatillos and put it in a saute pan with olive oil and minced garlic. I would have loved to have topped this with some fresh basil, but alas, the basil in my fridge had gone bad. So we worked solely with tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and bread. Either way it turned out yum-my! We chowed down, drank some vino and in true "girl time" fashion talked about our lives, had some laughs and shed a few tears. All in all, a lovely Wednesday night!

bread and tomatoes saute-ing away!
Ingredients:
4 regular heirloom tomatoes
1 tomatilo
6 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 minced garlic cloves
1 large baguette sliced

Recipe:
Dice the tomatoes and tomatillo into rough 1/4 inch pieces. Place in a saute pan with about 3 tbsp of olive oil and 2 large cloves of minced garlic over a medium heat. In the mean time, slice the baguette into approx 5 inch, eatable pieces and then saute in a different pan with an additional 3 tbsp of olive oil with another clove of garlic smashed, to flavor the oil. Saute bread on medium/medium high, until it is golden brown on both sides. Saute tomato garlic mixture until the tomatoes are soft and sauce-like and 1/2 the moisture has reduced. Spoon tomato mixture on top of the golden brown bread. Serve hot with a nice Chianti and a couple of girlfriends.



the finished product!

my gals enjoying some chianti

No comments:

Post a Comment