Sunday, February 20, 2011

Equipment Envy

I have a small confession to make. I cook in a kitchen that is the size of a walk in closet. Yep! - I live in New York City. My dream is to one day move to a swanky loft apt where I'll have a bigger kitchen with an island that doubles as counter and eating space.  At present the surface on which I chop, dice and peel is about the size of my laptop. This is not an exaggeration. And while I get by with a little creative ingenuity, it is far from easy. Now this is not to say it will be like this forever. As we have no immediate plans to move, Chris is going to build a counter table that we will all be able to use for cooking! Huzzah!

So I guess on my "To Have" list for the future is a big kitchen, but let's talk about some of the cookware I'm dying to own even before that time arrives.

My number one impending kitchen purchase is a Le Creuset Round Dutch Oven. An absolute classic piece of cookware made of enameled cast iron. This gorgeous piece of equipment can go on stove top, into the oven, or into the freezer and it's fabulous craftsmanship insures an even distribution of heat so that ingredients don't burn, but release all of their natural flavors!
The next piece of equipment no cook could not envy is a KitchenAid Mixer. Another expensive but fabulous investment. This mixer has multiple mixing attachments you can put on to beat, mix and whisk anything to utter perfection! It also has attachments you can buy to make pasta dough and ice cream! It's a home cook's dream!

Moving on! While we have a lovely backyard behind our apt building, (a rare treat that we relish!), the building management does not allow outdoor grills. Such a pity, but there is a remedy for such a conundrum!  Le Creuset Bistro Round Grill Pan! Perfect for grilling in doors or outdoors. 
Who in New York City doesn't like Pizza? And while we can walk three blocks to a great Pizza joint, sometimes it's even more fun to make it yourself. A great Pizza Pan is essential to making a tasty at-home pizza, but a Pizza Stone is far superior! Giving your pizza that "brick oven" taste and crispness to your crust. YUM! Check out this Emile Henry Pizza Stone. 
Le sigh... while it may be years before I own all the fabulous kitchenware I desire, I'll keep browsing William Sonoma online and drooling- I mean dreaming.  Happy Presidents Day, by the way!


No comments:

Post a Comment