Monday, February 21, 2011

The Powerful Influence of Chefs Robert Irvine and Anne Burrell

Anyone who knows me, knows that my go-to channel on any given night is the Food Network. I guess the title of this blog should have tipped you off, even if you don't know me.  Chris was resistant at first, or maybe skeptical is the right word? But it wasn't long before he was enjoying shows like Iron Chef America, Chopped, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and most recently...Worst Cooks In America.

This was the show that I was most surprised to see he enjoyed, but what I came to realize is that he was actually learning along with the contestants. The difference between Chris and I, is that while my fabulous cook of a mother inspired me to want to learn, his fabulous cook of a mother inspired him to want to eat! While both worthy ambitions, it leaves our relationship a bit one-sided when it comes to culinary knowledge.

(Side note: both of our moms make great dishes and I feel very lucky to have some of their recipes in my arsenal!)

While cooking comes naturally to me after years of practice, trial and error and Food TV viewing, Chris loves the idea of cooking, but doesn't always understand the proper techniques to use. For example, cooking everything on high was something he always did. The result one night was dry, caramelized Terriyaki Chicken. He's now learned that cooking meat under a low flame in a nice tasty liquid makes for tender and moist meat! That lesson might have come from me, but let's talk more about the show.

So Worst Cooks In America, if you are unfamiliar is a show hosted and taught this season, by Chefs Robert Irvine of Dinner Impossible and Chef Anne Burrell of Secrets of a Restaurant Chef . The show begins with  a large group of contestants, who are all nominated by a loved one as the worst cooks in America. The show then takes the "recruits" splits the into two teams (one for each chef) and takes them into Food Boot Camp, sending one contestant home each show. In the final round each chef chooses a final recruit to compete in an Iron Chef-like battle.

Each episode however, they learn very basic things. They start with how to make an omelet, or how to cook rice, very basic things that everyone should know how to do. Chris has been really interested while watching the show. His eyes glued to the TV, he often otters a "huh!" or "I had no idea!" or "hmmm". It's music to my ears!  The difference between this show and other cooking shows, is it really breaks it down into basic knowledge and techniques. Instead of saying "braise the pork chop" they'll say "this is how to braise a pork chop" and then show it! It's brilliant.

So thanks to Chef Robert and Chef Anne and all you Food Network Execs for inspiring my man to learn to cook better!

No comments:

Post a Comment