Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Iron Chef America

It's a good thing that I don't have a 9-5 job, because most weeknights around 12:30am, you will find me in bed watching none other than Iron Chef America. Whether it's Bobby Flay making some random mystery ingredient like squid, or gruyere cheese (my favorite) into some exquisite Southwestern dish, or Mario Batali wearing his signature orange Crocs. Or the most hilarious way they insist on using a translator for Masaharu Morimoto when he is clearly speaking English... It's all good.

I love the show. I love watching these masterful chefs make a five course meal in 60 minutes. The way they move around their kitchen with dexterity while directing their sous chefs makes my culinary-loving heart sing! (If you think this is a cheesy description, you haven't watched the show, or you don't understand it.) Another aspect of the show I love is Alton Brown. Anyone who knows Food Network knows how educated he is about food. He always has interesting things to say and fun facts about the ingredients and dishes being made.

Now, I've heard a few things about the show that may or may not be true.

First off, I've heard that the "secret ingredient" isn't so secret. According to one source, the chefs do know what the ingredient will be and can therefore plan a menu in advance. (Doesn't it ever seem odd the way they just know what they're going to make so instantly and their sous chef's just start cooking on their own?)

Secondly, I've heard that the Iron Chef and Challenger only have to plate ONE plate of each dish by the end of the hour and then they have extra time to prepare three more plates before serving the judges. Either way, it's still so fascinating to me and inspiring to watch people do such amazing things with food.

Someone once asked me, "Why do you like watching food shows? You can't taste the food?" I guess this is a fair question, but for me so much of what I see ends up being replicated in my own kitchen, or inspires me to try something a certain way. While I do often salivate while watching the show, the visual stimulation and inspiring culinary talent is enough to keep me satisfied and from making a midnight snack. Allez cuisine!

No comments:

Post a Comment